Marion Roose Pullin ARIZONA OPERA STUDIO: Pianists
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
Repertoire for the 2020-21 mainstage season may be selected from the following titles:
- L'Elisir d'Amore
- A Streetcar Named Desire
- The Copper Queen (world premiere)
- Pearl Fishers
- Romeo et Juliete
- Die Zauberflote
August 26, 2020 - April 30, 2021
Notifications will go out via YAP Tracker whether or not you have been granted an audition on or before Tuesday, September 10, 2019.
The Marion Roose Pullin Arizona Opera Studio provides emerging artists with comprehensive performance and training opportunities in a nurturing working environment. The Studio Artist Pianist position is for a pianist/coach with a sound piano technique and experience in opera coaching and playing mainstage rehearsals. Ideal candidates for this residency have typically finished reputable graduate degree programs or young artist training programs.
Program components include:
- Performance opportunities throughout the season.
- Well-rounded, personalized instruction and coaching that takes each artist to the next level and prepares them for successful careers.
- Diverse repertoire and innovative programming, including opera, art song, musical theater, and non-traditional works.
- Career development assistance to help artists build relationships that will guide and promote their initial steps into the profession.
Applicants must be United States citizens or have the right to work in the United States. Non U.S. citizens must send a photocopy of documentary proof of right to work.
Age Limit: 36
Deadline: Received By Wednesday, September 4, 2019
- Completed application form.
- 2 contrasting video recordings of performances, coachings or rehearsals with singers or playing a rehearsal with conductor.
- Detailed résumé, PDF format only.
- 3 professional references and contact information for each.
- Headshot, JPEG format only.
- Nonrefundable $35 application fee.
Do not include biography, press materials, or any recordings with application. Only requested materials will be taken into consideration for an audition. Any additional materials will be discarded.
Application Form Location: http://www.yaptracker.com/applications/arizona-opera-2020-pianists
Audition Locations and Dates:
Cincinnati, OH USA: Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Houston, TX USA: Thursday, October 3, 2019
New York, NY USA: Monday, October 7, 2019 - Friday, October 11, 2019
Phoenix, AZ USA: Sunday, October 20, 2019
Applicants selected for a live audition should be prepared to play, sing, and possibly conduct TWO excerpts from the following list provided, subject to approval by Arizona Opera:
1) Select ONE act or large scene(s) from ONE of the following:
-Mozart: (in Italian)
Le Nozze di Figaro: Act II Finale
Don Giovanni: Act I Finale
Cosi fan tutte: Act I Finale
-Puccini: (in Italian)
La Boheme: Act 1 or Act 4
Madama Butterfly: Act 1
-Verdi: (in Italian)
Rigoletto: Act 1
La Traviata: Act II Scene II (Finale II)
2) An act or large scene(s) from a contrasting 19th or 20th century opera in English of the applicants choosing.
Pianist Provided: n/a
Responsibilities for the Studio Artist Pianist may include:
- Acting as principal pianist on assigned mainstage productions as determined by Head of Music.
- Preparing, coaching, and performing with the Studio Artist singers in masterclasses, auditions, concerts, and events.
- Assisting in the production, layout, and operation of supertitles for mainstage productions.
- Mentoring with music staff and administration.
Salary and Benefits
Payment is provided
* Studio Artists are hired as full time, non-exempt employees of Arizona Opera.
Benefits of employment include:
- Compensation (During the 2019-20 season, the gross bi-weekly pay was $1,050). Studio Artists are paid this gross amount twice a month.
- Furnished housing for the duration of employment period.
- Discretionary travel stipend reimbursed up to a stipulated amount at time of employment offer.
- Eligible to participate in Arizona Opera's benefits plan, including health, dental, and life insurance, after two months of employment.
- Arizona Opera is located in Phoenix, AZ. Studio Artists are responsible for their own ground transporation while in Arizona.
- Arizona Opera is unable to assume responsibility for housing spouses/partners, children, or pets.
Christopher Cano, firstname.lastname@example.org