Marion Roose Pullin ARIZONA OPERA STUDIO: Assistant Directors
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA
2020-21 Season programming may include titles such as:
- The Copper Queen (world premiere)
- A Streetcar Named Desire
- El Milagro del Recuerdo
- L'Elisir D'Amore
- Die Zauberflote
Program Dates: August 24, 2020 - April 30, 2021
Program Information: The Marion Roose Pullin Arizona Opera Studio provides emerging artists with comprehensive performance and training opportunities in a professional environment.
Program components include:
- Assistant Directing opportunities throughout the season on all mainstage productions and Directing the Studio Artists Scenes program.
- Well-rounded, personalized instruction and mentoring with visiting directors that takes the candidate to the next level and prepares them for successful careers.
- Diverse repertoire and innovative programming, including opera, art song, musical theater, and non-traditional works.
- Career development assistance to help artists build relationships that will guide and promote their initial steps into the profession.
- Mentoring with production and artistic staff
Applicants must be United States citizens or have the right to work in the United States. Non U.S. citizens must send a photocopy of their documentation proving right to work in the United States.
Arizona Opera is not considering bass applicants for this season.
Deadline: Received By Wednesday, September 4, 2019
All materials must be submitted online via the YAP Tracker application:
- Completed application form.
- Cover Letter (PDF).
- Detailed resume (PDF).
- One high-resolution headshot.
- Production images of work either directed or assistant directed by you. Max 5 documents.
- Three professional references. Contact information will need to be provided on the application form. No written recommendation letters are accepted.
- A non-refundable application fee of $35.00
Application Form Location: http://www.yaptracker.com/applications/arizona-2020-director
Applicants must submit a resume and three (3) professional references. Upon review of required materials, the applicant may be invited to participate in a preliminary interview over Skype or FaceTime with the Artistic Staff and Production Stage Manager of Arizona Opera. Should the applicant pass this initial stage of the selection process, they will be invited to meet with members of the Arizona Opera Artistic Staff in one of their audition cities (Cincinnati, Houston, New York or Phoenix) for an in-person interview. The applicant will also have the opportunity to work with a singer and pianist in a directing capacity on an aria assigned by the Head of Music and Director of the Marion Roose Pullin Studio of Arizona Opera during this final stage of the interview/audition process. Each applicant will be notified in advance of what aria the singer and pianist will be presenting.
Please note: Arizona Opera is not responsible for any travel expenses incurred by the applicant for the audition invitation. All applicants who are selected for this final interview/audition are responsible for their own housing and travel.
Audition Locations and Dates:
Cincinnati, OH USA: Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Houston, TX USA: Thursday, October 3, 2019
New York, NY USA: Monday, October 7, 2019 - Friday, October 11, 2019
Phoenix, AZ USA: Sunday, October, 20, 2019
Pianist Provided: n/a
Responsibilities for the Studio Artist Assistant Stage Director may include:
- Assisting mainstage stage directors and production stage manager on the daily running of rehearsals
- Dramatic coachings with Studio Artists
- Stage director for the "Scenes in the Witcoff" Studio scenes program
Salary and Benefits
Payment is provided
* Studio artists are hired as full time, non-exempt employees of Arizona Opera.
Benefits of employment include:
- Compensation (during the 2019-20 season, the gross bi-weekly pay was $1,050). studio artists are paid this gross amount twice a month.
- Furnished housing for the duration of employment period.
- Discretionary travel stipend reimbursed up to a stipulated amount at time of employment offer.
- Eligible to participate in Arizona Opera's benefits plan, including health, dental, and life insurance, after two months of employment.
- Arizona Opera is located in Phoenix, AZ. studio artists are responsible for their own ground transportation while in Arizona.
- Arizona Opera is unable to assume responsibility for housing spouses/partners, children, or pets.
For repertoire inquiries or questions concerning the program, please contact Christopher Cano, Head of Music and Director, Marion Roose Pullin Arizona Opera Studio - email@example.com
For questions related to auditioning (i.e., time changes, waitlist, etc.), please contact Zackery Hayhurst, Director of Artistic Administration - firstname.lastname@example.org