The Lead Dresser is an hourly position that helps create and maintain all appropriate wardrobe paperwork and will function as the point person at each venue for the wardrobe crew.
• Help create costume plots and check in sheets
• Oversee the wardrobe crews at each venue
• Perform wardrobe tracks as needed
• Help collect and complete notes created during dress rehearsals
• Launder appropriate garments during each production
• Help inventory and unpack rental packages
• Supervise the strike process for each production, including helping to pack and return rental packages
• Help maintain the integrity of each costume design
• Maintain construction standards within the Costume Shop.
• Assist with costume construction and alterations as needed
• Take notes and assist with performer fittings as needed
• Help with the organization, pulling and re-stocking of Costume Storage as needed by the Shop Manager
• Aiding the Shop Manager with shop supplies and re-ordering
• Maintaining a clean and effective work environment.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Wardrobe crewmembers (including apprentices, interns, over hire and volunteers).
• Degree in theatre technology and at least 2 years of professional wardrobe experience OR equivalent combination of professional and education experience
• Driver’s License
• Must have reliable transportation.
• Intermediate Costume construction and alteration skills, including: stitching, finishing, prepping and reconstruction
• Costume fitting experience
• Industrial sewing machines
• Domestic sewing machines
• Excellent time management skills
• Ability to work well under pressure with varied personalities
• Ability to both receive and delegate instructions
• General knowledge of Costume History
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to present in public
• Creative, detail oriented, excellent organizational and self-management skills, and ability to multi-task, adapt, and work in a fast-paced work environment.
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop a plus.
• Communicating by telephone, e-mail and in person
• Periods sitting at a sewing machine and standing at ironing board or steamer
• Ability to move quickly and quietly back stage in congested areas with minimal visibility
• Ability to go up and down narrow stairs in theatre spaces
• Ability to perform duties in a rigorous schedule, climb ladders and stairs and carry 50 pounds.
• Work environment is generally the busy and dark backstage at the theatres, but will also include the costume shop and Costume Storage at the Scenic Studio.
• Will be required to travel to Tucson for performances and some fittings and may be asked to travel to other cities for specific job related duties (travel and per diem will be given when applicable)
• Ability to shop locally as needed (mileage will be reimbursed when applicable)
• Availability for evening and weekend rehearsals and performances is required, but this will be scheduled ahead of time.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
The Arizona Opera is an Equal Opportunity employer. The Arizona Opera does not discriminate against an Employee or candidate for employment because of his or her race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, age, disability, veteran status, marital status or any other legally protected status. We prohibit discrimination in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, benefits, engagements, assignments, training, discipline, termination, promotions or other conditions of employment or career development. We offer Reasonable Accommodations where necessary to candidates for employment and to our qualified employees with disabilities.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, a resume and 3 references.
Email materials, with the subject line Lead Dresser, to email@example.com